Description: The International Labour Organization has found that an Ontario law does not protect the rights of farm workers.
Source: Canadian Labour Reporter
- Prof. David Doorey on the ILO ruling
- Earlier update
- Agricultural Employees Protection Act, 2002
- The International Labour Organization
Questions for discussion:
- What is the ILO?
- What powers does it have?
- Summarize the reasons behind this ruling.
- Describe the difference in opinion between the ILO and the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Which ruling do you agree with? Why?
- Prof. Doorey asks: “Do you think that the Liberal Government in Ontario should do what the ILO is asking, and amend the laws to grant agricultural workers the right to collective bargaining and to strike?” What do you think?