Description: Columnist Vaughn Palmer examines why the B.C. government opposes local bargaining for teachers.
Source: The Vancouver Sun
- B.C. teachers back in class
- B.C. teachers consider illegal strike
- Prof. Fiona McQuarrie discusses the teachers dispute (March 20 show: begins at 1.21)
- Bill 22, the Education Improvement Act
- B.C. Teachers’ Federation
- B.C. Public School Employers’ Association
- B.C. Ministry of Education
Questions for discussion:
- Explain how local bargaining works in this case.
- Why do the B.C. teachers prefer local bargaining?
- Why does the government oppose local bargaining?
- Consult your text: what is whipsawing?
- Which side do you most agree with in this dispute?